Thursday, September 2, 2010

Operation: Fun for Free

I am making a conscious effort to have fun for free. I am a lover of interesting and useless facts. I decided that I was going to look up little tidbits of information about famous authors. I printed them out and headed to the library to hide them in books. I'm excited about all those unsuspecting readers finding these little gems while reading.




Here are some of the most interesting things I learned:

Mark Twain never graduated from elementary school. He educated himself in public libraries as an adult while working as a journalist.

Charles Dickens suffered from epilepsy and made some of his characters-like Oliver Twist's brother- epileptics. Modern doctors are amazed at the medical accuracy of his descriptions of this malady.

When he was young, Jules Verne studied to be a lawyer, but he loved the theater and spent his time writing. When his family found out, they cut off his funding. For a time Verne even tried working as a stockbroker, but he eventually started making money as an author.

Lord of the Flies was rejected by twenty-one publishers before being accepted by Faber and Faber.

One of William Golding's hobbies was researching and exploring the myth of the Loch Ness monster.

Louise May Alcott was the 1st woman registered to vote in Concord, New Hampshire.


Thank goodness for gift cards. I was given a Pinkberry gift card at work. You know what that means - free ice cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment